about ffarmers

Ffarmers takes its name from The Farmers’ Arms that was located on the village square.  The village, which has a population of some 250, lies approximately 1.5 miles to the north of the A482 Llanwrda to Aberaeron road, and some 8 miles from Lampeter.  Ffarmers has an interesting history with Sarn Helen - the Roman Road - running through the village.  Records indicate that there was a settlement here in the early 1400’s with Dafydd ap Llywelyn ap Gruffudd Fychan building a fulling mill near the River Twrch which runs past the village.

The village later became a staging post for drovers driving stock from Cardiganshire to England, and The Drovers’ Arms still does a brisk trade with locals and visitors.  Agriculture remains important to the local economy, but provision is also made for tourists with visitors able to enjoy trekking, fishing, walking and caravan holidays in the area.  Many local people have also established businesses in the area, and generate income and employment within the community

Ffarmers Primary School was built in 1877, although there was educational provision in the village prior to that.  In spite of concerns regarding the closure of small rural schools, the community has fought to retain this important asset.  The school now operates within a federal structure with two neighbouring village schools, and is able to share resources and maximise efficiency for the benefit of pupils.

Local activities are promoted through posters on notice boards; announcements at events; flyers; local press and local radio stations. There is a weekly bus service through the village, and a country car scheme also operates for those requiring transport.  The community is represented by three local councillors on the Community Council.   There is concern at the lack of affordable housing for young people, and the difficulty of obtaining planning permission in the village.  These issues are being challenged through our elected representatives.

back to top

neuadd bro fana

neuadd bro fana ffarmers

Neuadd Bro Fana - the village hall – was built in the late 1920’s, and opened as a Village Hall and Institute in 1931.  The Council of Management has recently spent £215k - part funded by a lottery grant - on refurbishment work.  The Hall has a large concert hall on the first floor.  On the ground floor, there is an IT suite for community use; a snooker hall; kitchen; dining room; reception area, all having full provision for disabled people.  Every effort is made to provide for the social and educational needs of local people with concerts, dramas, lectures, coffee evenings, whist drives, bingo etc.  The village post office is also located within the village hall.

2006 is the 75th anniversary of opening Neuadd Bro Fana, and to celebrate this important milestone, a book on the history of the area is being published which will look at the development of the community in and around Ffarmers, and document the history of the local church and chapels; schools; voluntary organisations etc.  We have secured a £1,000 in grant aid from “Cronfa Milltir Sgwar” towards the cost of publishing.  Some twenty people within the community are researching and writing different sections of the book, and the local IT facility will enable us to prepare the book for printing and binding by outside printers.  We have recently completed a course in Desk Top Publishing and Digital Photography at the Hall for those involved in the project.    

In 2002, a field in the village was bought for community use as a playground / recreation area.  It is also used for the annual carnival and sports; the local agricultural show; and barbeques etc.

back to top

places of worship

Bethel Cwmpedol, Baptist Chapel

bethel cwmpedol chapel

ESTABLISHED 1741

DEACONS - Mrs Ray Davies, Peronne; Mr David Morgan Plasnewydd

SECRETARY - Mrs Sheila Lewis, Haulfryn, Llanllwni

SERVICE ORGANISER - Mrs Gladys Lewis, Dyffryn, Lampeter

TREASURER - Mr Elfyn Davies, Troed-y-Bryn

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Salem Caio, Baptist Chapel

salem caio chapel

DEACONS - Mr Trevor Evans, Maesgwyn, Harford; Mr Eifion Hughes, Tynwaun, Harford; Mrs Vera Jones, Arosfa, Lampeter

SECRETARY - Mrs Ann Jones, Derlwyn, Harford

TREASURER - Mrs Hilary Jones, Borthyn, Crugybar

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Saron, Cwmtwrch, Methodist Chapel

saron cwmtwrch chapel

ESTABLISHED 1838

DEACONS - Mr David Davies, Blaentwrch; Mr Gwyn Jones, Talog; Mr Wyn Jones, Cardiff

SECRETARY - Mrs Eryl Mathias, Tynwern, Ffarmers

TREASURER - Mrs Eirwen Thomas, Tynrheol, Ffarmers

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ffaldybrenin Independent Chapel

ffaldybrenin independent chapel

MINISTER - The Reverend D. Huw Roberts

DEACONS - Mr D.W. Jones, Garthlwyd; Mr R. Thomas, Gelliwern; Mr D. Williams, Rhosybedw; Mr J Williams, Rhosybedw

SECRETARY - Mr Ronald Thomas, Gelliwern

TREASURER - Mr John Williams, Rhosybedw

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Llanycrwys Church

llanycrwys church

VICAR'S WARDEN - Mrs Judy Jenkins, Llysawel

PEOPLE'S WARDEN - Mrs Charlotte Morgan, Llwynglas

SECRETARY - Mrs Ethel Davies, Llyshelen

TREASURER - Miss Iris Evans, Maesuchaf

Back to top

post office

The Post Office is situated in the village hall, Neuadd Bro Fana, and is under the management of sub-postmaster, Mr Peter Jukes. The Post Office provides all basic services as well as stocking a small range of greeting cards and the local newspaper. The Post Office is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 0900-1200 and Saturday from 1000-1200.

Back to top

drovers arms

It is possible that the Drovers Arms dates back to the eighteenth century, and developed to meet the demands of Drovers for accomodation while droving stock from Mid Wales to London's markets.

drovers arms ffarmers

The citizens of Ffarmers have been welcoming visitors to the village for centuries , and when the Drovers Arms was threatened with closure in 1996, a group of local people stepped in to form a community venture and buy the pub. Since then, the building has seen many improvements, including extending the building to house state of the art kitchen facilities, and renovating the bar and dining areas to a high standard whilst keeping the character that has drawn visitors to the pub for many years.

The Drovers Arms is very popular in the locality as a quality restaurant with an imaginative and delicious menu by the chef, and landlord, Mr Ben Bouvet. For further details, contact Ben on 01558 650157.

Back to top

caeo & llanycrwys show

caeo and llanycrwys show

The annual show is held on the village field, Parc Bro Fana, on the first Saturday of September. For further details, keep an eye on the 'News and Events' page.

CHAIRMAN - Mr Gwynfor Richards, Tegfryn

VICE-CHAIRMAN - Mrs Ethel Davies, Llyshelen

JOINT SECRETARIES - Mrs Joan Stacey, Ms Karen Stacey, Tynwaun

TREASURER - Mrs Gwyneth Richards, Cwmcelynen

Back to top

carnival and sports

 

ffarmers carnival and sports

The Carnival and Sports are held annually on the second Saturday in August on Parc Bro Fana.

SECRETARY - Mrs Ethel Davies, Llyshelen; TREASURER - Mrs Judy Jenkins, Llysawel

Back to top